Britany Simon: Lessons Learned from Doing Interior Design TV Shows
Welcome to the show! Today, Britany Simons joins us. Britany founded her full-service design firm, Britany Simon Design House, in 2010. Her work caught the attention of national media and this helped to launch Britany into the world of television and media. In today’s episode, she talks to us about her experience of being in the seventh season of the hit HGTV design challenge series, Design Star. She shares the lessons she’s learned from doing the show, and how she applies them today, to her design firm. Be sure to listen in today, to hear about Britany’s extensive experience of doing television shows.
For the last fifteen years, Britany’s design career has covered everything from large-scale commercial renovations to budget-friendly builds, including entire home makeovers. With a degree in Business and Interior Design, Britany’s professional career started with working for some of the top design firms in Arizona, where she specialized in kitchen and bath design, as well as the whole construction process, from conception to completion.
In addition to being a regular design contributor to television, digital, and print media outlets, Britany has also been the host for the Holiday House series on HGTC.com, a designer on Travel Channel’s hit series, Hotel Impossible, co-host of We’re Moving In, on the FYI Network, and a featured designer on Bravo Network’s new design show, Best Room Wins. Tune in now, to find out more!
- Britany enjoys supporting and having the support of other designers.
- Britany discusses how she stumbled into doing TV design shows.
- Being on TV isn’t as glamorous as it looks.
- Why you don’t make good money on TV unless you get into the fifth season of a show.
- Some of the lessons Britany learned from being on a TV show.
- TV challenges are very stressful and you have to be self-sufficient and savvy with your resources because you’re left to your own devices.
- You have to be highly organized to pull off a TV challenge. It’s a very testing experience.
- It’s very rewarding to complete a TV challenge.
- Being on TV is not what you would imagine because it’s more exciting for the producers if the designer breaks down and falls apart.
- What Britany learned about herself, as a designer, from being on TV.
- Being on TV taught Britany to be more efficient and trust her gut.
- Learning to understand the process of how things are made, and what’s involved with the different aspects of a renovation process.
- Britany gained a lot of confidence from being on TV.
- Being on TV certainly opened doors for Britany.
- You need to know what you want from being on TV before you start because it’s a huge time commitment.
- You need to be mindful of where you’re putting your energy.
- Television has been the marketing that Britany has used in her business.
To Britany Simon, the foundation of good design is about the experience that it gives you. She believes in spaces that blend fashion with function and luxury with livability. With a focus on creating a space that is a reflection of who you are, and an emphasis on how it makes you feel. Her artistic nature, a penchant for the details, and eye for the unexpected have helped her create incredibly distinguished living spaces and striking commercial projects for her clients.
Over the last fifteen years, Britany’s experience has spanned across a vast array of projects – from large-scale commercial renovations to whole home makeovers to budget-friendly builds. Although she has had a lifelong love affair with interior design and architecture, Britany received formal training through her bachelor’s degree in Business & Interior Design. She began her professional career working for some of the top design firms in Arizona where she worked on new residential homes, specializing in both kitchen and bath design, from conception to completion throughout the entire construction process.
In 2010, she founded Britany Simon Design House – a full-service design firm. The signature style and unmatched execution of BSDH have garnered a notable client roster with projects all over the country. Additionally, her work has caught the attention of national media and helped launch Britany’s foray into the television and media world.
Upon being selected on the seventh season of the hit HGTV design challenge series, Design Star, Britany discovered a new passion for television and video production. Her natural talent for design and on-camera presence earned her the accolade of “Fan Favorite” from her season. In addition to being a regular design contributor to television, digital and print media outlets, she has also been the host for the Holiday House series on HGTV.com, a designer on Travel Channel’s hit series, Hotel Impossible, co-host of We’re Moving In on the FYI Network, and a featured designer on Bravo Network’s new design show, Best Room Wins airing May 2019.
Previous episodes mentioned in this show:
Website: Britany Simon
Pinterest: Britany Simon
Instagram: BRITANY SIMON
Facebook: Britany Simon Design