Mikel Welch: Interior Design, TV, Self Made Man
Welcome to another episode of A Well Designed Business! We have Mikel Welch, of Mikel Welch Designs, as our guest on the show and today we pull back the curtain to find out what the lifestyle of a celebrity interior designer is really all about. And guess what? It turns out it’s not at all the way we think it is. It involves a lot of risk-taking situations, unforeseen bumps in the road, sleeping on sofas at other people’s houses and even asking friends for some help. Mikel, who is a really hard worker with a very clear vision for himself, grew up in Southfield Michigan. Today, he works as an on-air personality and design expert for Pickler and Ben TV show and he is also the brand ambassador to Inspire Closets. All this, in addition to running his own interior design projects. On the show today Mikel shares his really remarkable and encouraging success story. Listen in to hear about a turning point with Steve Harvey and other ways that doors keep on opening for Mikel.
Mikel worked as a set designer for the Steve Harvey Show in 2012, where he created lavish green rooms for prominent people, including First Lady Michelle Obama, Oprah Winfrey, Joan Rivers, Halle Berry and Tyler Perry, just to name a few. In 2012, before joining the Steve Harvey Show, he was on the HGTV Design Star’s season seven, where he finished as a top-four contender. Before that, in 2011, he was behind the camera, as a set designer for Style Network’s hit reality show, Jerseylicious. He has appeared as a design expert on WGN TV, CBS-TV’s The Talk and he has made special guest appearances on behalf of West Elm, CB2 and Pottery Barn. His designs have been featured in The Huffington Post, HGTV Magazine, Essence Magazine, Chicago’s NBC-TV, HGTV’s Shop This Room and The Fabulist on E! Network and Splash Magazine. Mikel was also recently profiled in CS Magazine, Modern Luxury Interiors and Crain’s Chicago Business. It all sounds so exciting and Mikel really sounds like a lucky guy, doesn’t he? Listen in today, as we pick his incredible career apart and find out the truth behind how it all really happened!
- What Mikel had in mind, and how things fell into place for him when he made the move to New York from Atlanta.
- What has happened as a result of Mikel donating his time and services.
- How Mikel used Craig’s List to start his career as an interior designer.
- The unglamorous start to his New York life.
- Creating unbelievable opportunities by working strategically for free.
- Getting set design experience while building a portfolio.
- Mikel’s first real experience of a reality show.
- What he had to go through working on Jerseylicious.
- Pushing through the fear and just doing it!
- The benefits of boot-camp with a celebrity coach.
- The challenges of working on television.
- The really lucky break with Steve Harvey.
- Why Steve Harvey liked and helped Mikel.
- Mikel’s way of working smarter, not harder!
- An awesome new opportunity at Inspired Closets.
- Taking the right kind of risks.
A soon as the new Kravet website goes live, you can use the promo code AWDB10, for a 10% discount on any Kravet fabric, trim and wall covering order.