Power Talk Friday: Betty Marton: The Story Behind The Story: Writing For Your Business And Your Life
Welcome to A Well-Designed Business, it’s Power Talk Friday! There are so many of us who struggle with communicating who we are and what we do, especially on our websites. Betty Marton, founder of In Your Own Words, is back with us on the show to discuss how important it is in sharing your story to show your humanity, your journey, and your vulnerability.
Betty is a lover of stories, conversation, and talking to people and hearing about their lives. She has her own separate business as a writer, copywriter, and storyteller whose passion is helping people understand their stories and bring them to life.
Think about the way that you are portraying your business with your words, and be sure to listen in as Betty imparts her expertise about storytelling and the impact it can have, both on your business and your personal life.
Writer and editor Betty Marton works with individuals, as well as large and small businesses, foundations, and nonprofit organizations to capture and share the stories they need to tell. She has reported on and written about a wide range of business practices and social change programs. In her work with individuals who want to tell their life stories, her innate curiosity and empathy often helps lead them to gain new insights and reimagine self-limiting beliefs. Betty is, as well, the liaison between her artist husband, Jerry Teters, and interior design clients for whom he creates commissioned paintings. Best known as an abstract artist, Jerry also creates intimate portraits of home, scene from his clients’ lives at home or on vacation.
- As Betty explains, your profession doesn’t matter. Whatever your passion is, she can write about that.
- Betty loves figuring out the layers beyond the who, what, when, why, and where: the story behind the story.
- Everybody has a story that matters. Knowing someone’s vulnerabilities helps you connect.
- Meaningful articles are valuable marketing tools.
- Word-shaping written copy is one of Betty’s gifts.
- Betty gives an overview of the different ways she works with clients.
- In the telling of your story, Betty likes to explore the different angles that helps you see something you didn’t see before.
- A photo story is something that anybody can do. Betty offers 16 Questions you can ask yourself to help you dig deeper into your photograph. This enables you to learn more about yourself and the person in the picture than you would have known before.
- There’s also a link to discover your coronavirus photo story on Betty’s website!
- Check out Jerry’s art! It is a valuable resource for designers.
Connect with Betty!
Process Leads to Profits – Returning November 2020! Learn the Four P’s of design from Sara Lynn Brennan: Processes, Partnerships, Packages and Profits…as well as the “secret sauce” that has doubled her business in the last year! Sign Up For Updates HERE!
LuAnn Live – Coming February 2021
Join the E-Mail List to Get Updates!
Is Chairman of the Board Right for YOUR Business?
Get the Goodies! – For checklists, resources, and extra goodies!
To Get on LuAnn’s Email List, text the word designbiz to 444999!
Purchase LuAnn’s Books Here:
A Big THANK YOU to These Podcast Sponsors:
Jaipur Living’s Website – Easy to Browse, Custom Calculator, Products Ready to Ship! Open Your Trade Account to Begin Your Relationship with This Admirable Company.
Other shows mentioned to link