Megan Molten: Planning Creates Success in Your Interior Design Business
Welcome! Today we are really excited to have Megan Molten on the show with us. Megan reached out to LuAnn in an email a while ago, telling her that she learned everything she knows about the business of interior design from this show, and it’s changed her life. She went on to explain that after twelve years of being in health-care sales and having listened to the podcast every day for the last year, she finally quit her day job to become an interior designer. Listen in today, to hear Megan’s story.
Before quitting her job, Megan managed to have an incredible 29 interior design clients on the side, over six months, while still working full-time, for fifty hours a week! Now, a year later, she has a full-time business manager, a full-time designer, she has leased warehouse space, she has a studio space, she has an e-commerce business, and she has 19 000 followers on Instagram! In her first year, Megan brought in $600 000 in revenue, and she also planned her wedding and got married last May! She has been featured on eighteen different sites, from Serena and Lily to Apartment Therapy and Bungalow. Megan has achieved all of this because she truly understands that to make her dreams a reality, she has to actually do the things that she learned from the different guests on this show. In today’s episode, she talks to us about the things she learned and how she’s applied them. Tune in now, to find out more!
- Megan talks to us about the moment that she finally decided to quit her day job.
- It all began with social media, with Instagram in particular, for Megan.
- One of the first things that Megan did was to hire a photographer.
- Starting afresh, both professionally and personally.
- Having the support of her entrepreneurial parents really helped Megan a lot.
- Do what you do best, and outsource the rest.
- Making her first hire was one of the best decisions Megan has ever made.
- E-commerce makes so much sense but it really takes a lot of work.
- Using the services of a purchasing agent.
- Having conversations and making connections.
- The importance of finding the blind spots in your processes.
Megan’s love for all things interiors has been around for as long as she can remember and soon became a reality after she purchased her first home in Charleston, South Carolina and started the design process herself. She began sharing with the world all of her favorite finds and amazing transformations on social media and the world responded! It was this incredible response to Megan’s designs that encouraged her to start helping friends, then friends of friends and eventually clients transform their spaces too. This exciting new “hobby” she devoted every hour to while not working her very full-time job in medical sales quickly turned into a business. She quit her 12-year career in corporate America to chase a dream-a dream that was her true passion in life-helping others achieve beautiful spaces they love. Her passion for light and airy design, go-getter attitude and attention to detail has quickly created a strong following and brand for #designsbymeganmolten and she can’t wait to continue to watch her big dream grow!
Megan’s email: email@example.com
Website: Megan Molten
Shop: Megan Molten Shop
Instagram: Megan Molten
Facebook: Megan Molten
Pinterest: Megan Molten
Houzz: Designs By Megan Molten
Previous shows mentioned in this episode: