Janelle Photopoulos: Leading, Not Simply Running, Your Interior Design Firm
Welcome to the show! We have Janelle Blakely Photopoulos, the owner and principal of Blakely Interior Design, with us today for another episode in our series of The Things I Learned From A Well-Designed Business. Janelle recently sent us an awesome letter explaining all the lessons, improvements and systems that she’s applied to her business since listening to the podcast. She is really a great example of a thoughtful business owner in that she listens, she learns, and she takes action. Join us today to find out what Janelle has to tell you about the way that she leads her team and runs her business.
Janelle earned a bachelor’s degree in business and marketing from Syracuse University. Then, after honing her management skills with the corporate giant, AT&T, she realized her true calling and attended the Rhode Island School of Design to learn the technical aspects of interior design. Janelle started her residential interior design business in North Kingstown, Rhode Island, in 2010. Since then she has grown the business and established a reputation for creating really beautiful, livable interiors. Janelle has built a support team that reflects her vision and commitment to their clients. Her success is deeply rooted in her ability to collaborate and communicate adeptly with her clients and industry partners. In addition to the exponential growth of her design business, Janelle was recently nominated for Rhode Island’s 2018 Small Business Woman of the Year. Listen in to find out more!
- Janelle talks about her passion for leading her team.
- The first time Janelle hired someone.
- The importance of tracking time.
- Shifting people into roles that are suited to their particular strengths.
- Taking the time to see your employees for what they’re really good at.
- The team-wide assessment that Janelle had done to discover the specific strengths of each member of her team.
- You’re only as good as the team that supports you.
- About the Client Concierge Experience.
- The small things that you do for the client really make all the difference.
- Some of the things she’s learned along the way.
- The biggest takeaways that Janelle gained from the podcast.
- Janelle is a big believer in self improvement.
- The impact that Stacy Brown Randall has had on Janelle.
- Setting your client’s expectations realistically in case something goes wrong.
Janelle’s website: Blakely Interior Design
Other episodes mentioned on the show: