What Would Lu Do: The All Important, Project Autopsy
Welcome to A Well-Designed Business, it’s time for another riveting episode of “What Would Lu Do?”! LuAnn received a request from a window treatment professional to review the “autopsy” process that LuAnn’s team does at Window Works, so this episode is dedicated to covering the review of a project once it’s completed.
Whether you are a photographer, web developer, architect, or blogger, it is essential for each and every business owner to review their projects for profitability, deficiencies, processes, and client satisfaction.
LuAnn discusses this process mostly from the perspective of a window treatment specialist, so if you are a designer, you have more work to do! But no worries, she’s got you designers covered on that, too! Get comfy, you’ll want to take notes!
- There are 3 main objectives of a post-project “autopsy”. To learn:
- what it is we do well
- what it is we need to improve on and
- what kinds of projects we make money on
- LuAnn details the items that need to be reviewed:
- gross dollar amount of the project
- marketing source
- net cost of goods on the project
- review the completed project with installers, sales reps, and the office admin team
- tag the client in our CRM as ‘market to’, ‘don’t market to’ and ‘request a review’
- review what you learned
- Steps you can add to this process as a design firm include:
- set up debriefs with your key trades especially at the completion of larger size projects
- ask your client how you did, in a personal, meaningful way
- By not examining everything, you sometimes don’t learn everything. You only learn what gets caught, not what could have been avoided.
- Growth and learning and excellence comes from reviewing what you do, how you do it, and who you do it for.
WCAA’s 3×3 Virtual Learning Event
FREE Virtual Learning Event!
October 28-30, 2020
9am, 12pm, and 3pm Daily!
Process Leads to Profits – Returning November 2020! Learn the Four P’s of design from Sara Lynn Brennan: Processes, Partnerships, Packages and Profits…as well as the “secret sauce” that has doubled her business in the last year! Sign Up For Updates HERE!
Eileen B. Hahn’s Interior Design Firm Hiring Toolkit
LuAnn Live – Coming February 2021
Join the E-Mail List to Get Updates!
Is Chairman of the Board Right for YOUR Business?
Get the Goodies! – For checklists, resources, and extra goodies!
To Get on LuAnn’s Email List, text the word designbiz to 444999!
Purchase LuAnn’s Books Here:
Book 1: The Making of A Well – Designed Business: Turn Inspiration into Action
Book 2: A Well-Designed Business – The Power Talk Friday Experts
Like Us: Facebook | Tweet Us: Twitter | Follow Us: Instagram | Listen Here: Podcast
A Big THANK YOU to These Podcast Sponsors:
Kirsch’s motorized Briza collection is the perfect answer to high-end drapery treatments. Connect with Your Local Kirsch Distributor Now! Kirsch
When your client wants the finest in luxury appliances for their kitchen.
Are You Set Up with Monogram‘s Design Partner Trade Program?
Shows to include in show notes: #36 Susan Brunstrum