What Would Lu Do? How to Handle a Trade That Hijacks Your Project
Welcome to A Well-Designed Business, it’s time for another episode of “What Would Lu Do?” where you ask the questions and LuAnn helps out with the answers.
Today’s question comes from LuAnn’s coaching client, Jill, who gave LuAnn her blessing to share this sticky situation on the podcast. Jill has a new client who is the daughter of a very good client (and friend) of hers. The new client had a general contractor present at an in-home consultation for window treatments and the GC was very opinionated, contradicting Jill’s advice at every turn. To make matters worse, the new client gave deference to every word he said.
Listen in to hear multiple dilemmas that Jill faces, as LuAnn digs into the details, susses out the situation, and lays out her reasoning on the resolutions.
If you are not working with a coach or perhaps you don’t have a business mentor or business bestie to provide guidance, this is the perfect opportunity to email LuAnn the burning issues that you need insight on and she’ll answer them on air. Please send your questions to luannnigara.com/wwld!
- LuAnn shares the details of her coaching client, Jill’s, dilemma.
- LuAnn posed this question for Jill to consider:
- Do you actually disagree with the GC’s suggestions and comments, or are you just annoyed that his say-so is being included in the discussion?
- The bottom line is to get clear on what your actual reaction is and separate the emotion from it.
- As it turns out, Jill thought that the GC was leading her client into mistakes, some much worse than others. Additionally, Jill would be the one responsible at the end of the day.
- When Jill presented her reasoning, her reasoning was poo-poo’d and the client sided with the GC.
- The next question that LuAnn asked Jill:
- Does the client’s mother know the GC and does she have an opinion of him, and is this something that she needs to know about?
- Jill confirmed that the mother does know the GC and does not care for him.
- Here’s the third question that LuAnn asked Jill:
- Yes or no, honestly: with everything set up as it is now with the same dynamics in place, do you see this project as being successful if you take the job?
- Jill did NOT see this project going well.
- LuAnn’s final question for Jill:
- Pretend everything is exactly the same and the project is $2,600 instead of $26,000: would you give a second thought to just walking away?
- Jill’s response was no, with the exception of the relationship with the client’s mother.
- The most important thing to consider, given all the details, is the relationship with the original client.
- The second most important thing is Jill will only proceed with the job if this particular GC is not involved.
- Know what you will do, and what you will not do.
- What would Lu do, based on this information?
- Listen in to find out the surprising outcome!
Links / Resources:
LuAnn’s Podcast – Please SUBSCRIBE, Rate & Review!
Purchase LuAnn’s Books Here:
The Making of A Well – Designed Business: Turn Inspiration into Action
A Well-Designed Business – The Power Talk Friday Experts
Is Chairman of the Board Right for YOUR Business?
Are you a #babydesigner, #risingdesigner, or a #seasoneddesigner?
Take the “What Level is Your Design Firm” Quiz and Find Out!
Get a list of things to do that day, by the end of the week and by the end of the month, in addition to the best podcast episodes to listen to appropriate to where you are in your business journey!
A Big THANK YOU to These Podcast Sponsors:
Open Your Trade Account with ARTICLE.com Here!
Be the hero for your clients, and be the solution they need right now with Article.
Jaipur Living’s Website – Easy to Browse, Custom Calculator, Products Ready to Ship! Open Your Trade Account to Begin Your Relationship with This Admirable Company.