John McClain: Running His Firm from Two Coasts Makes Systems and Tools Critical
Welcome to the show! We have John McClain joining us today. John is the owner and Principal Designer for John McClain Design, and he is also an ASID Associate. For John, a successful design project involves combining the client’s needs and wishes with his own natural instinct. John McClean Design has offices in Florida and Los Angeles, and in today’s episode, John talks to us about his superpower, which is organizing the systems and tools that he and his team utilize to manage their projects from two locations in two different time zones. Tune in now, to learn how to set your firm up with a strong foundation.
John McClain is an accomplished interior designer who has turned his lifetime passion for interior design into an opportunity to do the same for others. Shortly after launching his career, John appeared on HGTV, which allowed his personality and design perspective to become visible to a larger audience. He then joined a prestigious interior design firm/furniture design company in Los Angeles, CA, which eventually led to him starting his own home furnishings company, John McClain Home.
John McClain Design is a well-crafted blend of John’s past design experience, education, and innovative-forward thinking. His projects have received numerous awards and have appeared in many publications including Traditional Home and Elle Décor. John now also shares his passion for interior design through speaking engagements, television appearances, articles, and events. Listen in today, to find out what he has to share.
- John has a degree in business management. He has always been an entrepreneur with a keen interest in learning systems and ways to make businesses run more efficiently.
- Systems are always evolving and changing, so you have to keep learning and growing.
- John talks about the structure of his business and the roles that his employees play.
- Synergy is really important to John, so he is always aware of what’s going on with all of his firm’s projects.
- John explains how he works and how he organizes his projects within his company.
- Transparency is very important, for both employees and clients.
- John has started using MyDoma Studio to coordinate his projects and it’s made things so much easier!
- John explains what he likes about MyDoma Studio.
- Some of the tools that John and his team use to communicate and to coordinate their projects.
- The way that John manages his business finances.
- Learning the ins and outs of QuickBooks.
- Keeping a keen eye on your finances is key to running a successful business.
- John explains how he keeps his finger on the pulse of his business.
- Using a questionnaire to get information about potential new clients.
- John talks about his involvement in the consultation process.
- Coping with a three-hour time difference.
- Knowing when you have to step in as the leader.
- Keeping his team inclusive.
Facebook: John McClain Home
Go to A Well Designed Business to sign up for your trial with MyDoma Studio.
On November 1st, 2019, LuAnn will be speaking at the Portland Interior Design Society Chapter’s event, the Elevate Conference. Then, the following week, on November 9th, 2019, she will be speaking at the thirtieth-anniversary celebration of the NKBA Portland Chapter. Both the IDS of Portland, Oregon, and the NKBA of Portland, Maine, are inviting you, the design professional, to join us! You don’t have to be a member of IDS or NKBA to attend. Go to LuAnn’s website, Luann Nigara, and click on the ‘Attend A Live Event’ tab to find the RSVP and registration info for these events. (And for any other event that LuAnn will be attending over the next few months.)