Tori Alexander: Her Production List Increases Efficiency and Profits
Welcome to the show! We have Tori Alexander with us today. Tori is a Nashville native and she’s a Harpeth Hall alumna with a B.S. in Furnishings and Interiors from the University of Georgia. After graduating, Tori set herself apart as a designer with her uniquely broad understanding of architecture, while honing her skills at a boutique architecture firm in Nashville.
In 2012, Tori launched her own company, Alexander Interiors, in Sacramento California, when her husband’s career took their family there. Then they returned to Nashville in 2016 and Tori started her business all over again. In today’s episode, she talks to us about the systems she uses to keep her projects extremely well organized. And she mentions how moving and starting over twice, and experiencing a different culture and aesthetic, really broadened her design skills and helped her become a better businesswoman. Listen in today, to find out more!
Spaces you can live in. That’s Tori Alexander’s design philosophy – a vision that is top of mind as she dreams up new creations for her clients. “I design every space with the assumption that adults will spill red wine and children will spill their juice,” Tori explains. “That being said, it can still be beautiful! It is about knowing when and where to use each material.” When it comes to understanding those critical details, Tori’s credentials are truly impressive. Alexander Interiors has been featured by Southern Living, Today, Style Blueprint and more. Tune in today, to hear what Tori has to share about how to run a design-build project.
- Tori explains where to start with a design-build project.
- Implementing the production list was a turning point in Tori’s business. It has led to more opportunities, such as management and construction management of larger projects.
- Running a business in California was a constant uphill battle for Tori and this really helped her to develop an edge.
- Tori talks about the production list and what it entails.
- The management tool that has really improved the profitability of Tori’s business.
- Tori has four categories of projects: Renovation, full design, e-design, and consulting.
- Projects have to make sense for Tori, first financially and then creatively. If they don’t fit any of these categories, she turns them down.
- Tori explains the kind of project that is not a good fit for her.
- The way that Tori packages her consultation times.
- Laying the seeds in the right places.
- A production list documents every single task that needs to be done, no matter how large or small.
- How trackable goals tie into the production list.
- Implementing separate cross-checks for completion and accuracy.
- Coming up with systems to prevent unforeseen installation problems from arising.
- Tori shares some of the checklists that she uses. Using checklists helps to bring calmness to a potentially chaotic industry.
- Rewarding the team at the end of a project for a job well done.
Tori Alexander- Bio
Spaces you can live in. That’s Tori Alexander’s design philosophy – a vision that is top of mind as she dreams up new creations for her clients. “I design every space with the assumption that adults will spill red wine and children will spill their juice,” Alexander explains. “That being said, it can still be beautiful! It is about knowing when and where to use each material.” When it comes to understanding those critical details, Alexander’s credentials are impressive. The Nashville native and Harpeth Hall alumna earned her B.S. in Furnishings and Interiors from The University of Georgia’s esteemed program in 2008. Upon graduating, she continued to hone her skills at a boutique architecture firm in Nashville, setting herself apart as a designer with a uniquely extensive understanding of architecture. In 2012, her husband’s career took Alexander to Sacramento, Ca., where she launched her own design company, Alexander Interiors. “I think being in a new and unfamiliar city encouraged me to finally take the leap and begin working for myself,” Alexander shares. Since the launch, clients have eagerly sought out Alexander’s impeccable expertise for their own homes. Describing her style as fresh and classic all at once, Alexander creates timeless interiors with layers of color, texture, and pattern. “I love a good pattern,” Alexander says. “That’s what I feel truly sets me apart — my ability to pair pattern on pattern within the same space.” In 2016, Alexander brought her thriving business back home to Nashville – a trending city with an ever-growing design scene. But with years of experience in California and clients across the country, Alexander offers a unique perspective for clients. “I’ve been able to draw inspiration from the quirks and trends in various regions and cities,” Alexander explains. Or sometimes, the inspiration is close to home – like an antique bracelet from her grandmother serving as the muse for a hand-painted ceiling in a charming nursery. Alexander’s creativity and heart help give clients unforgettable, one-of-a-kind spaces they can live in. Alexander Interiors has been featured by Southern Living, Today, Style Blueprint and more. To learn more, visit Alexander Interiors.
Will you be joining LuAnn in Las Vegas for her one-day Power Talk Friday Tour? LuAnn is repeating her Power Talk Friday Tour this year in Las Vegas. It is a one-day coaching event and it will be held on Saturday, July 27th, and it will run from 8.00am to 11.00pm. It will include breakfast, lunch, and dinner, discussions with LuAnn’s PTF experts, and four hours of round table discussions, in groups of three or less, with each expert individually. Go to Power Talk Friday to reserve your seat.
if you are not sure if it’s right or you—email LuAnn at email@example.com, put powertalkfriday LV in the subject line, and give LuAnn your phone number. She will call you and together you’ll see if this one-day event will benefit you and your business.
This event is sponsored by Revel Woods and MyDoma Studio.
To get onto LuAnn’s email list to get the info, text the word DESIGNBIZ to the number 444999.