Christopher Grubb: Business Insights from an Experienced Principal Interior Designer
Welcome to today’s episode of A Well-Designed Business! We have Christopher Grubb, the president of the Beverley Hills-based Arch-Interiors Design Group Inc., as our guest for today. Christopher has been called a style maker and expert design influencer by clients, editors, manufacturers, and producers alike and, for his entire career, he has been a sought-after speaker on what makes design compelling. He has also been a contributing writer to many media outlets as well as a guest judge for multiple design competitions. One of the things he will be talking to us about on the show today is how he began creating affordable, luxury products for the consumer market with the launch of the C.G. Collection in 2010. Although his business is more than twenty-years-old, and his projects are large and detailed, Christopher still maintains a steady eye and a firm hand on the way that his business is run. Listen in to find out what he has to share on the show today.
The Arch-Interiors design group is recognized internationally for its interior and exterior high-end residential, commercial, medical, health and beauty, retail design projects. The firm has been featured in books, hundreds of magazines and newspapers, and Christopher has shared his design skills on multiple radio and television shows – including recurring appearances on LXTV/NBC and Martha Stewart Living Radio.
In 2015 Christopher launched a new studio, Autograph by Christopher Grubb. This line is comprised of unique, beautifully constructed products with rich features and alluring details for the most discriminating consumer clientele.
The Arch-Interiors design group has received dozens of awards and is honored to be named the best interior design firm in California by Build Magazine, in addition to being featured in an entire issue of World Architecture Magazine in Hong Kong with over 70 pages, exclusively covering the works of Arch-Interiors. Christopher has also been named one of the 50 Innovators in Kitchen and Bath Design in 2017. Listen in to find out more.
- Working with high-end commercial projects, compared with working with residential projects.
- Christopher does resommercial- a blend of commercial and residential design.
- You really need education about business before going out on your own. And you need to know what makes you stand out from the rest.
- What makes Christopher’s firm really stand out.
- Flat fee, or an hourly fee?
- Some of the things Christopher is comfortable with not billing for.
- Christopher is really onto all the aspects of his business.
- No matter how big, or how small your business, you cannot offload your responsibility around the financials.
- The incredibly high level of service that Christopher’s firm is offering his clients.
- Christopher talks about his product development and his two different entities, the luxury Autograph by Christopher Grubb, and the affordable luxury C.G.Collection.
- Bathrooms can be some of the most detailed rooms to do.
- Know your specialty and target that for success.
- Some of the nuances of bringing a product to market.
- Why you need to look at your payables and receivables at least once every month.
- Christopher uses Studio Designer Accounting and Project Management software, as it prints out your profit and loss, your time billing reports and your accounts receivable.
- About Christopher’s designs and creations.
- What Christopher looks at for inspiration.
- Christopher has devoted a whole chapter in his book to the development of a luxury product line.
- Christopher’s design firm is known for quality, a high level of hands-on, and for attention to detail.
- Why, as a designer, you really need to like the product that you produce.
- Fighting for your vision is really important for product designers.
- Owning your mistakes will earn you the respect of your clients.
- Why you never really have competition.
Links and Resources:
Christopher’s website: Arch-Interiors
Studio Designer Accounting and Project Management Software: Studio Designer
To find out more about LuAnn Nigara Live, It’s About the Conversation or to sign up for the event, go to Luann Live.
The sponsors who have made this event possible include: Kravet Inc, Mydoma Studio, Wingnut Social, Schwartz Design Showroom, DesignerInc, Pollack-Weitzner, Merrill Landis Drapery Workroom, the WCAA, East End Interiors in Long Island, and Exciting Windows.
LuAnn will be at KBIS on the 20th and 21st of February. For all the info on where else she’ll be, go to her website Luann Nigara, and be sure to also follow her on Instagram at LuAnnNigara.