Jana Platina Phipps, The Trim Queen: Finding Your Niche
Today we have Jana Platina Phipps, affectionately known as the “Trim Queen” by her clients, as our guest on the show. Jana and LuAnn met each other in person last year at the IWCE in Charlotte, where they were both speaking, and this year Jana will be speaking again at the IWCE in Tampa Florida. Jana is an embellishment expert, a designer and she’s also an agent for Classical Elements. She develops custom trimmings for NYC-based fashion companies and she also designs made-to-order home and fashion accessories, using trimmings and vintage jewelry. Jana teaches other people her technique of Trim Alchemy, which involves turning something ordinary into something really extraordinary, using trimmings to express their personal creativity. Listen in to find out more about what Jana will be doing at the IWCE this year.
Jana started a blog in 2013 and she uses her social media channels to keep an account of how the design community uses trimmings creatively. She lectures at The New York School of Interior Design, Continuing Education Seminars and on Webinars to the interior design community, drawing on her knowledge of the history of passementerie and also on her hands-on experience with fabrication. She is a regular contributor to WF Vision and Designers Today Magazines, and Universal Furniture’s Smartstuff Social Station blog. She also conducts DIY workshops and stages a Trim Alchemy Show at the Country Living Fairs across the country. Jana is planning a Trim Queen Maker Tour of Venice Italy for Spring 2018. Listen in now to find out what she has to share with you on today’s show.
- Jana talks about what she has going on at the IWCE this year.
- How Jana’s college education has come into play for her in her career.
- The details of what’s happening with Jana’s workshops in the Construction Zone at the IWCE this year.
- Why Jana really loves going to the IWCE!
- What you, as an interior designer, can gain from the community on the Construction Zone floor at the IWCE.
- About Jana’s work with Classical Elements.
- How the blog post- Trim Queen came about, and the mission behind it.
- The new avenue of creativity and business that Jana has created with Trim Queen.
- The power of getting great feedback.
- The fine line between giving people advice and being taken advantage of.
- About Jana’s really helpful peer mentoring group.
- How Jana moved Trim Queen into becoming a really viable business.
- Jana’s really intentional way of starting out with doing video.
- The magic of developing your business through the creative process.
- Something that has really helped Jana with her creative process this year.
- All about Jana’s Trim Queen Maker Tour in Venice Italy next year.
- What Jana’s awesome concept of maker tourism is all about.
- What’s coming up with Jana and the WCAA, out of Connecticut. All the info will be on the events page of Jana’s website. (trimqueen.com)