Power Talk Friday: Monique Holmes: Keys To Sourcing For Your Interior Design Projects
Welcome to another Power Talk Friday! We have Monique Holmes (Duarte) with us again today and she’s bound to inspire you to re-think the way that you approach sourcing for your interior design firm. Monique started Duarte Decor, a global interior design firm, in 2012, after successfully working in the marketing and advertising world for more than ten years. Using her marketing experience, she managed to generate $50 000 in profit in her first year, working part-time while still holding down a full-time job. Monique saw that there was a huge gap in our industry and that design schools don’t teach the business side of the industry. So, she came up with her 8 Steps To Profitability Program and launched her own, private coaching firm, Duarte Consulting, in 2016. Today’s show is packed with tons of information and Monique generously shares some of her awesome resources! Listen in to today to learn about Monique’s key strategies for sourcing like a pro.
Monique Holmes is a Certified Interior Decorator, Business Coach, and an active member of the National Association of Professional Women (NAPW), International Interior Design Association (IIDA), Central NJ & Brooklyn, NY Chapter President of the distinguished Interior Design Society (IDS) as well as a Certified member of CID (Certified Interior Decorator Association). She also holds several degrees, including a career degree in Interior Decorating & AutoCAD Design, a Bachelor’s in International Business with a specialization in Economics & Marketing, and a Master’s Degree in Interactive & Direct Marketing. Monique Holmes was awarded “Woman of the Year for Interior Decorating for NJ” in 2013 by NAPW, in addition, her design work has been featured online & in print publications including “Your Decorating Resource” and Moxie Woman Magazine. Listen in to find out more!
- The first thing to think about, as interior designers, in order to source and sell products like a pro.
- Monique likes to focus on helping designers to figure out strategies to do things effectively and efficiently.
- Monique explains her 4 easy steps to sourcing like a pro.
- The benefits of sourcing through trade-only vendors.
- The key to shopping with online retailers.
- The great thing about the Article.com trade program.
- It’s really important to be transparent with your clients.
- E-design or full-service?
- Monique has trade programs with all the retail stores that she shops with.
- The percentage of her discount that Monique shares with her clients.
- The way that Monique charges clients for her design services.
- Some things to consider, about sourcing.
- Doing your research about sourcing ahead of time really helps to prevent any unnecessary stress.
- Being aware and knowing your product is very important.
- Always have a price-point scale of the vendors that you deal with.
- It’s important to bear the location of vendors and their rep support in mind when making a purchase.
- Knowing your product and your customer is a vital ingredient.
- The importance of building sourcing and selling into the foundation of your business ahead of time.
- A lot of Monique’s coaching is strategy-based.
- Building your sourcing repertoire list of vendors- it takes time but it’s really worth it in the end.
Instagram: Monique Nicole Holmes
Previous shows mentioned in this episode:
Monique’s 1st appearance on the show: #178 (note she has since married- she was Monique Duarte- she is now Monique Holmes)